Delivering Virtual Learning and More
The Baked Bean Company is a charity working with people with learning difficulties and disabilities in the borough of Wandsworth. Through funding from Wandsworth Lifelong Learning (WLL), Baked Bean ran seven life skills and three digital skills face-to-face sessions, each week, from its centre in Tooting.
These sessions are a vital lifeline for vulnerable adult learners but, with the onset of Covid 19, having large numbers of vulnerable students in the centre became a safeguarding concern. However, WLL and Baked Bean were determined to continue delivering to their learners and, in line with the latest government guidelines, they decided to deliver all sessions online.
This involved a number of changes to their regular provision and Baked Bean responded by:
- Setting up a virtual learning platform and training staff and learners in its use
- Implementing a system of remote learning risk assessment and Individual Learning Plans
- Ensuring important continuity for learners by continuing with the same timetable used for face-to-face sessions and keeping the usual attendance register
- Holding weekly virtual staff meetings with the Quality Manager to ensure the quality of the provision is monitored and maintained
- Purchasing laptops for the learners’ use where they didn’t have access to a computer
It became clear that some learners were uncomfortable with remote learning and, to support them, Baked Bean will be dropping off worksheets each week and assisting and encouraging them with completion of the courses by telephone.
The charity is also using its daily contact with learners, many of whom have elderly carers, to stay on top of other pastoral needs e.g. delivering food if it is required for self-isolating students. Baked Bean is also expecting a delivery of gloves and anti-bacterial products which they will distribute to their learner base, as required.
Baked Bean is staying connected and maintaining a routine with its learners to prevent them from becoming isolated. Continuing to deliver the adult learning offer is an essential part of this and the partnership with WLL provides the support needed to implement this programme.
Online learning is a new development so we ask that you bear with us as we continue to learn about the best ways to deliver virtual learning to our users.
For more information on Baked Bean: http://bakedbeancompany.com/
The CEO of Baked Bean, Sarah Gentles, can be contacted at: email@example.com