Becoming a Teaching Assistant is a fulfilling and rewarding career where you can make a real difference. No two days are the same, the hours work around family life and there are many opportunities for career development. If you are currently working, or would like to work, in a child-centred environment and want to gain the knowledge that leads to a Teaching Assistant role, these courses could be for you and previous experience is not required.
Introduction to Becoming a Teaching Assistant
Before you commit to a full accredited course, this short introductory course will help you to learn more about what’s involved by developing an understanding of the teaching and learning environment in a school setting. Topics covered include:
- How to support the wellbeing of a child or young person
- Child and young person development
- Effectively supporting individual needs
- Roles and responsibilities within a school setting
|New dates to be announced||TBA||Online||REGISTER HERE||Closed|
Teaching Assistant L2 (Support Work in Schools)
The course is knowledge-based and will prepare you to apply your skills and behaviours effectively by increasing your understanding of:
- Schools as organisations
- Child development
- Safeguarding children and young people
- Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Equality and diversity in work with children and young people
Qualification on successful completion of this course: Level 2 Support Work in Schools
Following achievement of this qualification, you could progress to a Level 3 Support Teaching and Learning in Schools diploma.
- You need to undertake initial assessments in English and Maths and achieve an E3 or an L1 grade
- You need to be able to attend all online sessions
- Tutor support and feedback is provided
|10th January-5th April 2024||10.00-12.30||Online via Google Classroom||REGISTER HERE||4th January 2024|
To attend this course and complete the coursework, you need access to a good internet connection and a laptop, computer or tablet device. If you do not have a suitable device, please speak to an IAG advisor or your tutor about the Laptop Loan Scheme.
T: 020 8871 8055
This course is free for those who meet all the following funding requirements:
- you live in a London /Greater London Borough
- you are not in full time education
- you have not achieved this qualification before
- you are aged 19 or older on 31st August 2023
- *have permission to live in the UK for at least 12 months and the VISA is valid for the duration of the course.
*If you don’t have permission to live in the UK for 12 months there are exemptions which can be discussed with the IAG advisor who will contact you
If you do not meet the above criteria for a free course, a fee paying option is available.